The Bible says, and I guess I might be paraphrasing, “God created the world in 7 days.” That is sort of interesting since we have a “week” which lasts 7 days. Why does the week last 7 days???
The answer is in heaven. No, not the “pearly gates” – in the actual sky, the “heavens.” There are 7 days in a week because there are 7 lights in the sky that move around while all the rest of the lights up there stay put in their relative positions:
- The Sun
- The Moon
And so we have one day for each planet.
- The Sun has Sunday
- The Moon has Monday
- Mercury has “Mercoledì” – influenced by the Norse language became “Wednesday”
- Venus has “Venerdì” – “Friday” by Norse influence.
- Mars has “Martedì” – “Tuesday” by Norse influence.
- Jupiter has “Jovedi” – “Thursday” from the Norse influence.
- Saturn has Saturday
OK, so why are they out of order? Because it is complicated. I will try to explain it simply.
- Step 1: Order the planets from slowest moving to fastest moving and you get this: Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon.
- Step 2: Split the day into 24 “hours”, give one hour to each planet in the above order, starting from Sunrise.
- Step 3: When the first day is done you will be partially through the third cycle of the order of planets from slowest to fastest. Don’t restart, keep going. Start the next day with the planet who naturally follows in order.
- Step 4: The planet ruling the hour of Sunrise is the planet who rules the day. The day is named after that planet
And that explains it.
So the first day would be Saturn’s day (Saturday). The last planet to rule an hour on Saturday is Mars (do the pencil work matching each planet to each hour in the order of slowest to fastest and you will see why). The next planet in the natural speed order after Mars is the Sun. So the Sun rules the hour of the next Sunrise, the next day. So the next day after Saturday is Sunday.
If you pencil it out you will see that the planet ruling the hour of the next sunrise is the Moon – so the next day is “Monday.” And so on and so forth you will see the familiar order of the weekdays unfold.
Creating the World in 7 Days
Each of these 7 planets is responsible for one specific aspect of reality. So all seven of them together make the complete creation.
- Sun = Awareness, identity (Ego)
- Moon = Experience, reflection, opinion, emotion. (Mind)
- Mercury = Conceptualization and communication (Intellect)
- Venus = Sensual experience (the Body of senses)
- Mars = Energy, Passion (Ambition)
- Jupiter = Morals (Guidance)
- Saturn = Limitations of reality (Grief)
This is what it really means to say, “God created the world in 7 days.” Well, who am I to say what it “really” means. But this is the only way it makes great sense as far as I know or care to know right now. The statement is telling you that there are seven parts to existence, each one overseen by a specific planetary force, and that taken altogether these seven forces are the complete “creation” of the material universe.