The “6th House” is the area of sky below the Western horizon. To understand the significance of this house, let’s first briefly explain the significance of the Western horizon. The Western horizon is opposite from the Eastern horizon. While the Eastern horizon represents your self the Western horizon represents your partner. The East represents you. The West represents others. The East is where the Sun, stars and planets rise and thus represents birth. The West is where everything sets and disappears and thus represents death.
Now the 6th House is not the Western horizon itself, but is the area just beneath it. It is the part of the sky that is under the Western horizon, holding it up and supporting it. Bearing that in mind, you can understand everything about the 6th House: The 6th House supports everything indicated by the “West.” Thus the essential meanings of this house are:
- Challenges & Enemies. The 6th House supports other people, not yourself. It is thus the place of challenges and enemies – things which are advantageous to others but not to yourself.
- Illness. The 6th House supports death, not life. It is thus the place of illness.
Understanding these primary meanings, you can realize all the corollary meanings of this house. For example:
- Digestion. Since the 6th house is a place of illness, it pertains to your ability or disability to digest food – because from improper digestion of food one becomes malnourished and ill.
- Negotiation & Litigation. Since the 6th house supports other people who challenge you and act as your enemy, it is therefore the focal point for negotiations and litigations – where we try to achieve a fair balance between supporting ourself and supporting others.
- Chores & Work. The 6th house concerns the things we do out of our duty to support the other people in our life: daily chores, housework, and “9 to 5” salary work.